Sunday, 26 March 2017

A 44 year old security guard who was working for Guard Alert and his suspected girlfriend, all from Zaka in Masvingo, were found dead with their bodies lying on the floor in an advanced state of decomposition, police have confirmed.

The two bodies of Godwin Sungai and Covay Tizira both of Ringisai Village under Chief Bota were found lying on the floor in a house at Mr Duvai Maguvu’s homestead on Tuesday. Tizirai’s body was naked.

Acting Masvingo police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Kudakwashe Dehwa said the bodies were discovered 14 days after Sungai last reported for duty. He said police have now launched an investigation into the matter.

“I confirm receiving a report involving a Guard Alert Security guard who was deployed at Econet Wireless booster in Gutu and a woman. The two were found dead and their bodies were in an advanced state of decomposition. Indications are that the two knew each other. Investigations are still in progress as foul play is suspected,” said Asst Insp Dehwa.

He said on 7 March at about 6pm, Sungai and Tizirai left their home area going to Zvenyika Village in Gutu where the man, a security guard had been deployed to guard the booster. Police said Sungai was replacing his colleague, Mr Robson Chiruvenge (37) of Zvimba who had started his off for 14 days.

“When Mr Chiruvenge reported for duty on Tuesday after spending 14 days away, he was taken aback to find his colleague who he was supposed to do the handover and take over not there. He tried to phone on his mobile but the phone was not reachable. When he checked at Mr Maguvu’s homestead where he stayed, he saw flies coming from Sungai’s bedroom and he became suspicious,” he said.

Asst Insp Dehwa said Mr Chiruvenge forced the door open only to see the lifeless bodies of Sungai and Tizirai on the floor.

Tizirai’s body was naked and both were in an advanced state of decomposition, he said.

Mr Chiruvenge alerted the owner of the homestead, Mr Maguvu who reported the matter to the police at the Mpandawana Base. He said police attended the scene and took the bodies to Gutu Mission Hospital mortuary for postmortem.

Sunday News